Accreditation and You
A Parent’s Guide to the Importance of Accreditation
Accreditation lays the groundwork for success for schools and students…
Parents have long held education as a key to their child’s preparation and success in life. Equally, educators have known that quality education is of the utmost importance for a child’s future. Quality and success are not mutually exclusive in the education process. Quality and student success go hand‐in‐hand and are why many schools seek accreditation.
Accreditation benefits parents and students…
When a school or school system achieves accreditation, parents and the community can be assured that the top priorities are:
- Increasing student achievement
- Providing a safe and enriching learning environment
- Running an efficient operation
Students benefit from accreditation as well. Students are assured:
- Qualified teachers who are working to improve their methods
- More focus on student learning y better transition from grade to grade
- A rigorous, diverse, and sound curriculum based on quality standards
- A range of student activities and support services
- Smoother transfer of credits from school to school
- Eligibility for special programs, grants, and scholarships
Parents play an important role in accreditation…
Schools want parents to be actively involved in the improvement process. Parents need to:
- Stay informed about what’s going on at their child’s school
- Talk to other parents about the importance of education
- Join the school’s improvement team and/or Parent Teacher Association (PTA)
- Give feedback to the school through surveys, focus groups, and parent meetings.
Victory Charter Schools is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Council on Accreditation and School Improvement (SACS CASI). SACS CASI is an accreditation division of AdvancED. AdvancED has access to over 100 years of expertise in accreditation and school improvement. You can visit www.advanc‐ed.org to learn more. Feel free to also contact your school directly to learn more about their accreditation efforts.